2017 Book Wrap-Up [January - June]

7/08/2017

One of my New Year resolutions was to read at least 50 books during the year of 2017. We're currently at the midway point (if not a little after it) and I'm doing semi-okay. I really need to up my game if I hope to accomplish my goal, but I've always read better in the Winter months so I'm hoping that'll give me the edge to excel at this. Here are the books I have read so far:

Image source: http://bookprone.tumblr.com/

Talking As Fast As You Can
by Lauren Graham
Our lovable Gilmore wrote an autobiography and I really urge you to give it a read if you're a fan of hers or just the show in general. She writes as if it were Lorelai speaking so that certainly gave it a kick. She's an inspiring woman.
9.5/10

A Monster Calls
by Patrick Ness
The first Ness book I read at the urge of my partner, and I'm certainly glad he talked me into it. You can read my full review HERE.
10/10

More Than This
by Patrick Ness
Yup, I enjoyed A Monster Calls so much that I instantly picked up more of Ness's work. More Than This wasn't as gripping as I hoped, but I did enjoy it.
7/10

Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes
I jumped on the bandwagon and you know, I'm actually glad I did. I'm not a sappy romance book type. I can take or leave anything Sparks and don't get overly mushy. But Me Before You offered what so many others lack - a relatable, cheery protagonist that makes you want to strut around your hometown in flamboyant clothing and grin at strangers. Lou sold this book to me, 100%,
7.5/10

Outlander
by Diana Gabaldon 
I had so many problems with this book that aren't worth discussing about right now, but overall I did liked it. Not love, like. I was hoping for a more hardcore female (girl power, woo-whoo), and not a lady who forgave so easily. Alas, I liked the story and am interested in picking up the 2nd book of the series. So that counts for something.
7.5/10

The Girl On The Train
by Paula Hawkins 
Meh. So.. meh. I was really looking forward to this thriller but was instead met with an outcome and had the result of "Oh. Okay.". I was let down and I don't know whether it was just a hyped book, or I simply expected way too much. Either way.. meh. Sadly.
4/10

Wild
by Cheryl Strayed 
Hands down my favourite book that I've read in years. A beautiful story that I instantly wanted to reread once I turned that final page. Read my full review HERE.
10/10

A Year Of Marvellous Ways
by Sarah Winman
This was a total surprise. I didn't entirely know what I was heading in for with AYOMW, but I lost myself in the poetically written story about lost love, changes, and mermaids. Read my full review HERE.
9.5/10

Paper Towns
By John Green
I wanted to love this book. but instead it didn't really leave an impression. I enjoyed the last few chapters, but before that it was all so.. cliche. And angsty. The characters didn't interest me a whole bunch, and it was entirely what I expected. Which isn't always a good thing.
5/10

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky
My first reread of the year, yay! I have a love for this "so tumblr" book. I hate that it's had such a bad rep online. The story is beautiful and the characters even more so. I can hand-on-heart say that TPOBAW is a new-age classic. And if you even have a smidgen of social anxiety, it'll calm your worrying mind and you'll see yourself in Charlie. Just read it.
9.5/10

Lie With Me
by Sabine Durrant
I'll be honest, the cover drew me to this one. It's just so vibrant and pretty. The story itself is a thriller/mystery surrounding a bunch of rich folk in their yearly vacation spot. I enjoyed this one far more than I thought, but the character hugely let it down. I get that with thrillery books, the characters have to be dislikable (look at Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train) to all seem guilty, but.. meh. I didn't love it, but I didn't see the twist coming which hugely counts for something.
4/10

Storm Front
by Jim Butcher 
This was the first book in my and my partners 'Couple's bookclub' this year. It was his turn for a pick and he chose one of his personal favourites, the first in the Dresden series. I really enjoyed this one, and it wasn't at all what I was expecting. It made me laugh way too many times and despite the fact I spent half the book worrying about the cat, it was an easy read that offered an escape from the world. Fun.
8/10

Mike And Honey
by Rupi Kaur
My second reread, and the first poetry book in my wrap-up. Even if you've never heard of Milk and Honey, you've 100% likely seen it quoted across Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and all the quote/relateable accounts on Twitter. It's a pure, gut-wrenching, beautiful book that you will indulge in time and time again. If you have a heart that sometimes needs a little TLC, pick this up. It will stay with you for years.
10/10

Dear Amy
by Helen Callaghan
I'm still midway through writing a review for this one, but I'm worried that it's been too long and the little details will of slipped my mind. But I did really like it. The twist was semi predictable, but it was written eloquently and the characters were likeable.
5/10

Find Her
by Lisa Gardner
By far my favourite mystery/thriller book I've read so far this year. It gripped me from the first page. The story is a little far fetched, but I personally like that. It makes it way more enjoyable and like you're watching a movie. The characters are well written, the story unfolds itself beautifully and doesn't feel forced, and it has the roughness that you do want with a book of this genre.
6.5/10

Infinite Sky
by C. J. Flood
Infinite Sky is a story of young adulthood, first loves, travellers, family, and tragedy. It's bittersweet but warming. We witness 13-year-old Iris blossoming from child to young woman over a Summer, and ready our hearts for the heartbreak that is written on the first few pages. If you like the kind of stories that hold your heart in their palm only to continuously squeeze and release, then this would be a pick for you. Geared towards young adults but written beautifully enough to make the strongest of adults shed a tear.
6.5/10

After You
by Jojo Moyes
The sequel to Me Before You let's us back into the world of Louisa Clark. This wasn't anything close to the first and often resembled something you'd borrow off your Grandma and read on holiday, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was bad. Would I read it again? Unlikely. But it offered me a few good laughs and it was that cheesy read that you need every once in awhile.
6/10

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne
Much like A Monster Calls, this is a short novella following the story of a naive boy who dips over the line of child to young man throughout the pages. Only this has a harder edge given the truth behind the words. Set in WWII, we view the world through 8-year-old Bruno's eyes and learn the devastating truths that adults are hiding from him. But most importantly, this is a story of friendship. Childlike - sometimes selfish - friendship. Equally as beautiful as heartbreaking, this is one that has to be on your TBR.
9/10

The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
After being brutally murdered, 14-year-old Susie Salmon watches over her family and witness their grief from heaven. Now, this is a beautiful story despite the grim topics that it covers. But my score isn't higher due to the blandness of the characters and storytelling. It took me 3 rereads to get properly into this book and even then, it was around 120 pages until I felt properly invested, which is unheard of for me. I don't know what was missing.
5/10

Not That Kind Of Girl
by Lena Dunham
A completion of essays and tales from the Girls actress Lena Dunham. Personally I have never seen an episode of her hit TV show, so I wasn't entirely sure what I was in for when I opened this up. But given all the love this received on Youtube and Instagram, I was curious. The result was an amusing ride of stories that will give you extreme secondhand embarrassment but a little glow in the heart. Charming, that's the only word that comes to mind. If you want a laugh and are a woman still figuring out her life, you'll find comfort between these vibrant pink covers.
7/10
-

Books Read Out Of 50: 20

What are you currently reading?

- Anne x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Rooting Branches. Design by FCD.